The first Walter Gerlach Livestock Show (WGLS) was held January 25-28, 1974. One of the largest scholarship programs in the country, the WGLS has provided more than $15 million to NISD Ag students and local 4-H club members in its 45 years of operation. The exhibition and sale is held at the end of January each year.
The show was named for Walter Gerlach (1918-2004), a charter member of the John Marshall High School Ag Booster Club, who offered use of land he owned on Babcock Road for students to show and sell their animals, when his children, Brad, Rod, and Leslie, were involved in the Marshall Ag program. After they graduated, he continued his involvement. Click here for the rest of the story.